Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Sierra Summer

Painting No. 117, Sierra Summer
Buckeye Creek, California
10"x 8", oil on linen panel
7-3-2011

Noon in the Sierra's can be a tough time to paint. It's hot, the mountains are dull, my afternoon nap is calling me to retire to the travel trailer with a good book and a chilled ice tea. Yet here I am, roaming the country side with the hope of getting one more painting in before we head home.
I spotted these aspen trees earlier in the day on the Hunewill Ranch property above Buckeye Creek. I sized up the scene and figured that I could stand in the shade while painting which only added to the appeal. I like to sketch the subject first to get a sense of the composition,  just to make sure that what I'm seeing will actually transfer into the painting, then I block in the basic colors.
What I like especially about Aspen trees are the trunks, which are usually scared from graffiti (people carving their names) or rubbing against other trees, and the wonderful shape. When I paint them, I imagine they are jazz dancers, with their bodies creating smooth "S" shapes that flow to the music.  Each tree is distinct in character and markings with helps to create interest in the painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment